London is Open, Art on the Underground

2:06:00 PM





Poland Street. I'm here almost every day for work. Caledonian Road. Where I stayed for two years when I first moved to London. Bangalore, India where I grew up.

This poster 'Mappa Mundi' by Hew Locke and Indra Khanna is speaks to me in so many ways. In such a simple non pretentious way, tells us that London is a 'world city'.

It is my favourite amongst the #LondonIsOpen Underground Art initiative, by our Mayor Sadiq Khan.



The campaign launched with Turner prize nominated David Shrigley's artwork below.

The Francis Effect by Tania Bruguera illustrates Pangea – the single continent that spilt 300 million years ago

Jeremy Deller says of his piece: "My artwork contribution ‘London & on & on’ is a hopefully funny play on an advert for washing machines in the 1990’s. It riffs on the advert’s catch phrase “Ariston and on and”. It feels like it’s appropriate to the theme that London Is Open – that London has its own momentum. It has been going for 2000 years after all.”
London & on & on  tote by Jeremy Deller

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe